As has been reported over the past few days, there has been a great deal of information in the news media regarding a novel coronavirus referred to as 2019-nCoV. The Palliser School Division remains in communication with Alberta Health Services (AHS) and, as with all matters of health, we take their direction regarding our plan of action within our schools. Currently, AHS advises that the risk to public health in Alberta remains low. AHS is actively monitoring the situation and will provide additional guidance as the situation evolves.
It is important to remember that there are a number of common respiratory viruses currently circulating in the region and as such we would like to remind families of good hygiene practices. Here are some of the recommended ways to avoid the spread of common viruses:
- Make sure everyone in your household washes their hands with soap and water often.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Use a tissue when you cough or sneeze and throw it away. If you don’t have one, sneeze into your sleeve.
- If your children are sick, keep them home from school.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are used often and shared by everyone in your home.
If you know individuals with specific concerns related to potential exposures or related symptoms, please advise them to call Health Link at 811 for assessment and health advice. You can find more information related to the 2019-nCoV on the Alberta Health Services and Government of Canada websites.
Please click the following links for more information: